FIFA has dismissed chief operating officer Kevin Lamour, weeks after he said Infantino’s staff had been deceived by his abandoned World Cup investment plan. The firing lands alongside a new legal challenge questioning whether Infantino is even eligible to stand for re-election, as he publicly defended both Saudi Arabia’s 2034 hosting rights and his relationship with President Trump in the same breath.
FIFA confirmed on Monday that its working relationship with chief operating officer Kevin Lamour had ended, the Associated Press reported, weeks after Lamour publicly said FIFA staff had been deceived by president Gianni Infantino’s now-abandoned plan to sell stakes in the World Cup to private investors. The dismissal is the latest institutional casualty of a crisis that has already claimed senior adviser Carlos Cordeiro, who resigned the same day Lamour issued his statement. The fallout continues to widen: advocacy group FairSquare has written to FIFA questioning whether Infantino is legally eligible to stand for re-election at all, even as Infantino has publicly defended both Saudi Arabia’s hosting of the 2034 World Cup and his close relationship with President Trump.
Lamour All But Invited His Own Dismissal
The Associated Press reported that Lamour, based in Zurich, issued a statement on 1 August defending his FIFA colleagues amid the fallout from Infantino’s $20 billion investment plan, writing that staff had been deceived by the lack of openness in how the project was planned. Goal.com reported that Lamour told the AP the plan was the project of one person, and that football’s political leaders needed to ask themselves the right questions and make the right decisions, adding that if his remarks cost him his job, so be it. A FIFA spokesperson confirmed to Britain’s Press Association late Monday that the working relationship between FIFA and Lamour as chief operating officer had ended.
The Latest In A String Of Departures
ESPN reported that Lamour’s departure follows a pattern established by Cordeiro, a former Goldman Sachs partner and former US Soccer president serving as one of Infantino’s senior advisers, who resigned on the same day Lamour issued his statement, describing the investment plan as a bad deal for football. The two departures, from figures inside FIFA’s own senior leadership rather than external critics, illustrate how far the crisis triggered by the investment plan has spread beyond the confederations publicly opposing Infantino.
A New Legal Challenge To Infantino’s Eligibility
The Associated Press reported that FairSquare, a human rights and governance advocacy group, has written to FIFA questioning Infantino’s right to stand for re-election in March at all. The challenge centres on a FIFA governance ruling issued before the 2022 World Cup final, in which the organisation’s governing council agreed with its governance, audit and compliance committee that Infantino’s initial term between 2016 and 2019, when he succeeded Sepp Blatter at an extraordinary Congress, should not count toward his statutory 12-year term limit. If that earlier determination were successfully challenged or reconsidered, Infantino could already be ineligible to serve a further term.
Options Being Weighed By Infantino’s Opponents
The Associated Press reported that the open letter issued last week by UEFA, the Asian Football Confederation and CONCACAF, which accused Infantino of deception, was understood to have been intended to give him the opportunity to resign voluntarily. If Infantino declines to do so, one option under consideration by his opponents is identifying a candidate willing to stand against him at next year’s Congress, a prospect that has already prompted speculation about potential challengers including CONCACAF president Victor Montagliani.
Infantino Defends Saudi Arabia And His Ties To Trump
Soccerway reported that, speaking in Belfast, Infantino stood by FIFA’s decision to award the 2034 World Cup to Saudi Arabia and defended his relationship with President Trump in the same remarks, describing the Saudi hosting decision as a Congress vote that united the entire world. The comments came despite the Norwegian football federation having criticised the process that led to Saudi Arabia’s selection, and despite ongoing concerns from human rights organisations over the kingdom’s record on migrant labour, press freedom and the criminalisation of same-sex relationships. Infantino’s willingness to defend the Saudi 2034 decision and his Trump ties together, using nearly identical language to the language he has used to defend the collapsed investment plan and the FIFA Peace Prize awarded to Trump, illustrates a consistent pattern in how he has responded to scrutiny of his major institutional decisions throughout the current crisis.
Not Every Federation Has Turned Against Infantino
The Associated Press reported that despite the mounting institutional pressure, six Arab football federations expressed full support and confidence in Infantino’s leadership last week, even as a growing number of national associations elsewhere have withdrawn their backing for his re-election bid.
Why This Matters For Saudi Arabia’s 2034 World Cup
Infantino’s willingness to defend Saudi Arabia’s hosting rights and his relationship with Trump in a single set of remarks, delivered while his own organisation is dismissing senior executives and facing a formal legal challenge to his eligibility to continue leading it, underscores how closely FIFA’s institutional stability and Saudi Arabia’s 2034 tournament have become intertwined. A FIFA president publicly conflating the legitimacy of the Saudi hosting decision with his personal political relationships, at the exact moment those relationships are central to the crisis threatening his position, gives renewed weight to years of criticism that FIFA’s major institutional outcomes under his leadership have been shaped as much by political alliance-building as by transparent governance.
An Eligibility Question That Could Reshape March’s Election
The FairSquare challenge, if it gains traction, introduces a genuine legal uncertainty into a presidential race that has, until now, been fought largely through public statements and confederation-level statements of support or opposition. Should Infantino’s eligibility itself become a live legal question, the implications extend well beyond FIFA’s internal politics, directly affecting the stability of the leadership Saudi Arabia is relying on to oversee its 2034 preparations through to their conclusion.
Broader Debate Over Accountability And Sportswashing
The dismissal of a chief operating officer who publicly said his own staff had been deceived, combined with a formal challenge to Infantino’s eligibility to seek re-election, marks one of the most serious institutional crises FIFA has faced since the corruption scandal that ended Sepp Blatter’s presidency in 2015. Neither FIFA nor Infantino has responded in detail to the FairSquare challenge. For rights organisations, federations and fans already questioning the transparency of FIFA’s handling of Saudi Arabia’s 2034 hosting rights, Infantino’s own choice to defend that decision and his Trump ties together in Belfast is likely to be read as confirmation that the two issues, FIFA’s leadership crisis and Saudi Arabia’s hosting rights, cannot easily be separated from one another.